A quickie.




Just came from seeing The Family Stone. Loved it. And I think I may have an answer for my continually asking you about your family: I miss mine. I was vicariously experimenting the annoyance and joy of having a family through you. I have been an orphan for much more time than my parents have been dead. You see, I left my home when I was sixteen because I wanted to 'live my life'. And not much differently than you now, I considered my family a little bit boring. And then I was living alone in a big city, going to the school I wanted to go, dating without no one telling me it was wrong to date guys twice and three times my age and staying up all night and going dancing and meeting three hundred fifty seven intersting people and all that. Does it sound familiar?

Oh, yeah, I did most everything you are doing now, but without the blasé attitude that you try to affect and without the altered states. But anyways, I think after seeing this movie that I really liked the idea I have of your mum. Even though I know that it is not HER per se, it was cool to see a mother sitting to have lunch with the fortysomething 'friend' of her post-teen son. Gosh, I'm older than your mother. Maybe that was it. You see, I get all sentimental at the end of the year. It happens to all of us foreigners. The only relative I have that I really care about is my sister and she's in another country, so go figure. So maybe that was the cause of my trying to elicit some comments from you regarding your family.

Oh, and I also thought about relationships and how weird it is that we pair up with the least expected person. In this movie, the straightjacketed, compulsive, controlling girl one brother brings home for the Holidays ends up with other one of the brothers, the most laissez-faire, coolest dude ever who just happen to enjoy some ganja with his dad once in a while. She ends up with the other brother even after she messes up during Christmas dinner when the topic of one other of the brothers -who just happen to be hard of hearing and in a bi-racial gay relationship- talks about adopting a kid. And the whole family immediately sides up with him, rejecting any notion that families would like anything but have their own gay member. It was cool. And refreshing, to see people that recognize that they may not be in the best relationship and accept their mistakes and move on. I need more of that in my life. Ok. Gotta go now. A friend is coming over and I have to do something to her and her son's hair.
Cheers baby boy.

Comments

Anonymous said…
You see, to me, a family is much more than people related by blood. There's so much more to it than that. I don't like mine, they've always let me down, which I suppose is normal for a kid to find out his parents are perfect superheros, that the world gets them down, and yes, they lied about santa. Somehow though they seemed to have spoiled it more...Maybe it was being caught in the screaming match between my mom and her ex-husband-- diving behind furniture to get out of the way of shattering dishes. Or maybe it was waiting on the porch for hours at a time for my mother to come take me to Sea World like she promised and this time it WAS going to be different. Or maybe it was my grandma telling me what a good for nothing person my mother was. Or never listening to me when I cried. Maybe it was the father-who-wasn't making me stay the night at his house though I was sure a monster was hiding under the staircase who later desserted me. Or possibly it was having the step-father smash out my grandparents windshield. Or better yet maybe it was riding around with a gun in the back seat, sneaking into houses to see how badly the stepfather beat my mother up this time. Or having to call him father even though he was NOT and having to cover for myself when I didn't. Or having him burn me with cigarettes. Or selling my toys for drug money. Or having to worry that he was going to try to steal me from school.
Maybe it was one of those things that caused me not to want to talk about my family. It could be.

Yeah, there were good times, but those are mine. If I share them with people, they might fade away, or lose their power. And I can't. They keep me going...They give me hope.